Experience with SIS80 sata/ide raid on FC3

Manu Linux Lookit linux at lookit.org
Tue Apr 19 16:31:34 UTC 2005

> It's described well at:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
>
>> and for the message : it's not a warning in the dmesg , just a simple
>> line. as others.
>

> I think it means that the dmraid software will need changing if it is to
> continue working with future kernel versions.
>
>> But why i can change the type of raid in the bios card if i must do all
>>  throught a software as dmraid ?
>>
>> the sis180 is only a IDE/SATA card and not raid in fact ... I can put 2
>> sata  in my computer and use dmraid without the SIS180 card !!!
>>
>> i don't really understand :(
>

> There are different ways of doing software RAID. The "dmraid" method is
> compatible with the way the BIOS sets up the disks for RAID, and should
> work properly in conjunction with any other operating systems that you
> might have installed on the machine. Those other operating systems will
> have similar facilities as dmraid in the drivers they use.

i've done this : to put my 2 hard drive in RAID 0 under the bios card.

they are reconized as 2 differents HD under linux.

i must use then dmraid to do the RAID 0.

the dmraid software send my the message in DMESG command :
program dmraid is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO

when i launch the activation command : "dmraid -ay sil"

#dmraid -ay sil
No Software RAID disks
#

but all is configured in RAID 0 under the bios ...