mounting external harddisk with fstab-sync as a non-root user

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Wed Apr 20 03:28:16 UTC 2005

Didier Casse wrote:

>Hi,
>    My FC3 box can recognize my external usb harddisk when I plug it
>in. In gnome the icons pop up on the desktop but when I try to open it
>to read it, it tells me that I do not have the permission to do it!!!
>
>I realize that only root can read the /media/whatever_stuff which is mounted.
>
>I would like to enable it for a normal user. How do I do this? Thanks
>for the help
>
>I mean I don't know the idea behind this but it's kind of silly that
>only root is able to read an external harddrive.

The only root being able to mount external media was in the FC1 early
FC2 days. I know from experience that this works very well in FC3. Only
difference is that I use KDE, i doubt however that that is the issue.

Put in your usb drive, give it a few seconds to get 'loaded'. Then run
the following commands and reply back with the output:

# tail /var/log/messages

Good luck