SICK OF STUPID OWNERSHIP RULES!!

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Wed Apr 20 09:41:12 UTC 2005

Kevin wrote:
> I am so sick of these stupid bloody ownership rules!
>
> All I want to do is share a FAT32 drive over the local
> network and allow anyone to read/write it!
>
> I don't care or want to know about GIDs and UIDs or
> any IDs, just put the thing out there for everyone.
>
> Man this is annoying.  And I don't have time to read
> through pages of stupid blood man pages either!
>
> HELP!
>
> Regards......KEv :(

Ownership rules are there for your, and everyone elses, protection. One of
the reasons Windows is so riddled with viruses, trojans, adware etc. is the
total lack of ownership/permission rules in early versions of Windows. This
has become so ingrained in Windows users (and developers alike) that now,
when new versions of Windows are available with strict ownerships and
permissions, most users (and software) run as Administrator to curcumvent
the ownership rules. This would seem to be your position.

You can do what you want by judicious setting of the umask= option on the
mount command. See the man page for mount.

BTW, how are you going stop some clown from running 'rm -rf /mount/point' to
delete everything from the FAT32 partition?

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555