Multiple NICs configuration

Corey coreyhead at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 05:52:07 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander Dalloz [mailto:ad+lists at uni-x.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 12:56 PM
To: coreyhead at gmail.com; For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Multiple NICs configuration

Am Di, den 19.04.2005 schrieb Corey um 21:26:

> OK...so here's what happens.  I activate the second NIC (eth1) and
internet
> browsing is unavailable on the server.  Going to an outside line, I try
> going into a web page or checking email.  Both fail. I can't even ping my
IP
> address.  Inside on the LAN, Samba doesn't respond properly.  Computers
know
> it's there, but nothing can connect.  I checked the Firewall Options in
the
> Security Level panel and set eth1 to a trusted interface.  However, no
> change in behavior.  I deactivate eth1 and just leave eth0 running, web
and
> outside lines are all happy again.
>
> So below is my ifcfg files.  Let me know what you think...
> THANKS!
> Corey
>
> [root at myserver network-scripts]# more ifcfg-eth0
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> BROADCAST=10.10.10.255
> IPADDR=10.10.10.10
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=10.10.10.0
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=yes
> GATEWAY=10.10.10.1

Remove the gateway setting.

> IPV6INIT=no
> [root at myserver network-scripts]# more ifcfg-eth1
> DEVICE=eth1
> BOOTPROTO=none
> BROADCAST=192.168.10.255
> IPADDR=192.168.10.201
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.10.0
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> GATEWAY=192.168.10.1

Remove the gateway setting.

> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=yes
> IPV6INIT=no

Use GATEWAY=<IP> only in /etc/sysconfig/network.

How do I specify the Gateway for each interface in /etc/sysconfig/network?

GATEWAY=10.10.10.1
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

As I understand this would get me the gateway for my 'external' card, but
what about the 'internal' card?  Would I just have this in that same file?

GATEWAY=192.168.10.1
GATEWAYDEV=eth1

THANKS!
Corey