While we are on the topic of multimedia...

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 21 22:23:29 UTC 2005

--- Pat Pleate <rosebwl2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was using the "Red Hat Linux 9 Bible" and didn't
> find anything about creating DVD snapshots and/or
> ripping.
> As a common courtesy and for being honest, I'm
> asking
> first to see if:
> 1. Is this illegal if it's for my own, personal use?
  I don't know but someone else will give you a better
explanation than I would.
> 2. What Linux/FC3 application exists for doing DVD
> ripping?  Is there an app on the FC3 CDs, and if so,
> which is it?  If not, are there any free apps for
> doing that (I Googled, found one thing, tried to
> make
> it work, but had ran into "you need this" issues
> that
> I couldn't resolve). -> probably the same one from
below anyway

There is a program called DVD::RIP available from
http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

You will need to download transcode, ffmpeg, + alot of
dependencies to make it work.  Any files that you have
missing get them from http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/
and from the PBONE repositories(http://rpm.pbone.net/)
searching for failed dependencies like libIzo.so or
somethings like that.  I have successfully installed
the packages but have not decoded/copied a DVD
successfully.

Regards,

Antonio