Mini DV and FC3

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 22 14:44:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 10:18 -0400, Ed Hill wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 23:01 -0400, Kevin Old wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I've followed this thread exactly as it states and can't seem to get
> > things working.
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-December/msg06925.html
> >
> > I have a Panasonic PV-GS15 MiniDV camcorder and have a Firewire PCMCIA card
> > 0b:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): NEC Corporation uPD72874 IEEE1394 OHCI
> > 1.1 3-port PHY-Link Ctrlr (rev 01)
> >
> > I've checked at linux1394.org and it is supported.  I'm trying to
> > mount an external harddrive via Firewire (it's in a USB 2.0/Firewire
> > enclosure).
>

> Hi Kevin,
>
> >From all of your settings, you should be able to get video content from
> the camera over the 1394 interface using, for instance:
>
>   $ dvgrab movie001
>
> although you may need to be root to get the command to work (and of
> course you'll need to have dvgrab installed which is described in the
> link above).
>
> And I've no experience with 1394-connected hard drives but they should
> appear as SCSI devices:
>
>   http://www.linux1394.org/sbp2.php
>
> so take a look in:
>
>   $ more /proc/scsi/scsi
>
> after the drive is connected.  And, if so, then mount it as you would
> any other SCSI drive.
>
> Ed

FYI:

I've got a Western Digital USB/Firewire MediaCenter 250 GB drive that's
plug and play on Firewire.  It shows up as sda when plugged in an
powered up.  It was much faster using Firewire than USB, almost as fast
as the native IDE drives.  The filesystem is ext3, as VFAT could not
accommodate our large file sizes.

Bob...