rsh : Permission denied

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 22 16:22:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 17:02 +0200, Vincent Arnoux wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to set up on a Fedora Core 3 pc the rsh server... and
> failing for the moment.
> I have the following message in /var/messages :
> Apr 20 14:21:26 asma001 pam_rhosts_auth[8950]: denied to
> vincent at 10.159.227.24 as varnoux: access not allowed
> Apr 20 14:21:26 asma001 in.rshd[8950]: rsh denied to
> vincent at 10.159.227.24 as varnoux: Permission denied.
>
> What I don't understand is that I changed all authorization files I
> found involved in rsh permissions. This system is on an intranet, so I
> can desactivate any security I want, but rsh server MUST work.
> I changed:
> [root at asma001 varnoux]# cat /etc/hosts.allow
> #
> # hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
> #               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
> #               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
> #
> in.rshd:ALL
> [root at asma001 varnoux]#  cat /etc/hosts.deny
> #
> # hosts.deny    This file describes the names of the hosts which are
> #               *not* allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
> #               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
> #
> # The portmap line is redundant, but it is left to remind you that
> # the new secure portmap uses hosts.deny and hosts.allow.  In particular
> # you should know that NFS uses portmap!
>
> [root at asma001 varnoux]# cat /etc/hosts.equiv
> +
> [root at asma001 varnoux]# cat .rhosts
> + +
>

> And it is still not working. Anyone has another idea ?
>
> Vincent

Per the format info in man 5 hosts_access, there should be spaces around
the : in the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files.  I can't tell if that was
for readability of is an actual requirement.

Excerpt:

All other lines should satisfy the following format, things between []
being optional:

                 daemon_list : client_list [ : shell_command ]

The examples in the same man page only show a space after the colon,
however.

Bob...