Editor with Remote Editing

Dave Cross davorg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 15:16:25 UTC 2005

On 4/21/05, nitai at computeroil.com <nitai at computeroil.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Some of my developers want to make the switch to Fedora Core 3 as their only OS.
>
> Now we have searched all over and could not find any editor with remote editing of files.
> You know the kind of Editors you will find on Windows like Homesite, or on MacOSX, like
> BBEdit. In those editors I just say Open remote and I get connected to my remote
> webserver, open up the template, write some code and on save the template gets written
> back to the server.
>
> Now, is there anything like this on Linux? I cant imagine that their should not be .....

There are a couple of ways to address this. The first would be the
method you are discussing. I know that Emacs (or Xemacs) supports
this. It used to do it using a package called Ange-FTP but I would be
surprised if there wasn't a more powerful way to do it by now.

The alternative option would be to let your desktop environment do all
the work. For example, in Gnome it's possible to mount remote
directories as folders on the desktop using any number of protocols
(samba, scp, webdav, probably ftp). You can then use whatever local
editor you want to edit the contents of the folder.

hth,

Dave...