More Samba Annoyances

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sun Apr 24 20:39:03 UTC 2005

Samba 3 is running fine on my Samba 3 box.  I have several shares defined,
which I can get to just fine from my FC3 laptop and my FC3 desktop.  However,
I can't get to them at all from Windoze XP; the shares do not show up at all,
and I can't get to them by typing in the path.  Here is part of my smb.conf
file:

[global]
        workgroup = HOGWARTS
        netbios name = HAGRID
        server string = File Server
        security = SHARE
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
       unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        dns proxy = No
        ldap ssl = no
        cups options = raw
        encrypt passwords = Yes

[our_music]
        path = /var/shared/music
        force group = crawford
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        guest ok = Yes
        browseable = Yes
        public = yes

Now, I should be able to browse to the share called our_music at least, right?
Yet it does not show up in Network Neighborhood.  I've confirmed that all of
the computers involved are part of the HOGWARTS workgroup, and all the
firewalls are set up just fine.  It doesn't work even if I attempt to connect
to the share directly using my Linux username/password combination.

Samba is always so much fun.  Someone once told me it was easy, but they had
other mental instabilities as well.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com