mail sniffers

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Mon Apr 25 07:23:40 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 07:54 -0500, Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Sunday 24 April 2005 02:29, Ankush Grover wrote:
>

> > What i want to know what kind of programs they are using to
> > filter those mails.I don't know much about their setup as my
> > friend is a software developer and he has very less knowledge
> > about the system administration part.
> >
> > Can anybody tell me about those sniffers and programs for filter
> > or checking the mail traffic.
> >

> You can use something like snort ( www.snort.org ) and set up your
> own rule definitions to trigger packet captures of interest.

But frankly, if the users are savvy enough, they can always use gpg/pgp
and things will be encrypted.

The other thing which may be useful is to do archiving, some sort of BCC
for every mail that gets sent/received.

Note that this can get out of hand/big pretty quickly.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz