DNS resolver - speeding it up, newbie question.

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Mon Apr 25 17:04:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 17:45 +0200, Barry (BJEast75) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm VERY new to Linux and need some very simple help here. I have turned on the named service on my linux box (hidden in the loft) that mainly sits there being my DNS server and being the a little file server for my home files that me and my girlfriends pc need acess to (thanks to Samba).
>
> All the other pc's in the house use it as their DNS server but the initial requests seem a tad slow compared to using my ISP's dns servers. I suspect that I could turn off a lot of the features/files/settings as all I need it to do is resolve  google.co.uk/bbc.co.uk/blah blah blah.co.uk   so on and so forth. I've tried some tutorials but they seem to be aimed at setting us a DNS server in a way that they are the gate wyat to servers and websites in the network that they're in front of (I hope I've explained whatI mean ok). Please DO NOT assume I know where to find these things or how to do it so any advice needs to be letter for letter.
>
> Many thanks ladies and gents.

You might consider using squid which can provide additional DNS caching.
BTW, keep your DNS machine running so that the cache is maintained.
--
Multi-RBL Check:         http://www.TQMcube.com/rblcheck.htm
Kill Spam at the Source: http://www.TQMcube.com/spam_trap.htm