rebooting a remote FC3 system

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 25 18:59:51 UTC 2005

bruce wrote:
> bill...
>
> i'm pretty sure it 'reboots', ie, the remote system has the user/passwd
> prompt.. i put a dummy character in the user... i go to my system that i'm
> using to ssh into the box. i do a 'reboot' and i see that the remote screen
> no longer has the 'dummy char' in the user.. if i'm fast enough, i can
> actually see part of the reboot process..
>
> but i still have the network connection issue that i mentioned....
>
> if i stand at the machine, and physically power it down/hit the reboot
> switch, everything works ok..

That smells of a network card that's having issues with autonegotiation
if it isn't actually powered down.  Perhaps you can force the card into
a fixed mode by appending options to its entry in /etc/modprobe.conf so
it doesn't try autonegotiation.

And please bottom-post in the future, as I have done.
-           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -