Can't Upgrade to FC3

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Mon Apr 25 23:45:14 UTC 2005

I've been trying off and on now for weeks to upgrade a working FC2
system to FC3.  The system is a test box with a PII 400Mhz with 386MB of
ram.  It is a dual boot box with win98.

FC2 runs perfectly.  There are no errors in the logs.  I've run fsck on
the drive.  There is nearly 4GB of free space available.  My FC3 cd's
have passed the disk check routine.  I even was able to do a complete
fresh install without problems...but I can't do an upgrade.

I want to do a successful upgrade before trying on some important FC2
boxes.

When I start the upgrade everything appears to be working.  I
successfully pass all the steps...

- Finding packages to upgrade
- checking dependencies
- Transferring install image to hard drive
- Starting install process
- Preparing to install

and then bang...the install exits with just the message "install exited
abnormally" and the systems shuts down to the safe to reboot message.
Rebooting is fine as nothing has actually been written to disk.

Can I turn on any kind of debugging to find out what is causing the
problem???

--
Gerry Doris <gdoris at rogers.com>