general rules for partitioning

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Apr 26 07:08:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 23:43 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:19:37PM +0900, Joel wrote:
> > A separate partition for /tmp is usefully when something tries to fill
> > /tmp, because it does not end up filling / . So I like to give it 1GB.
>
> Careful with that -- you don't want to end up with files from the boot
> process covered up in the /tmp mountpoint....

I use a separate /tmp partition as a matter of routine and haven't
encountered any boot problems as a result. For security reasons I mount
this partition with nodev and noexec, and doing *that* has resulted in a
couple of issues:

1. the stock FC3 logrotate package creates a temporary script there to
do the pre- and post-rotate jobs, and this breaks because it won't run.
This is fixed in the recent development packages.

2. the build process for a few RPM packages involves running processes
in the buildroot, which by default is in /tmp (the sendmail package runs
"makemap" like this for instance). This can be fixed by moving the RPM
build root elsewhere.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>