Failing kernel build when disabling CONFIG_4KSTACKS

Jeffrey Buell jbuell at vmware.com
Tue Apr 26 17:42:29 UTC 2005

> Jonathan, thanks for your comments.
>
> I have downloaded the latest source of the kernel from
> one of the Fedora ftp mirrors, installed this as
> described in the Release Notes of Fedora Core 3. Then
> I executed 'make clean' and 'make bzImage', first by
> using the CONFIG_4KSTACKS set (default), which
> succeeded, and then by disabling this setting, after
> which the build failed with errors mentioned.
>
> It is indeed strange, and I am simply interested to
> understand what is going wrong. Next thing I'd like to
> do is take the latest kernel from kernel.org and try
> to do the same.
>
> The Linuxant Driverloader solution is working, that
> much I did try, but I preferred to do things myself.
> Not for the sake of saving myself $20 for that
> solution, but to satisfy my own curiosity.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jaap

I verified this problem using FC4, release 1261.  I don't actually need 8K
myself but the point is that, under make menuconfig, if kernel debugging is
turned off then 8K is the default which leads to an undefined reference to
irq_ctx_init in function init_IRQ.  It may not be reasonable to expect the
kernel to build under all combinations of configs, but it should build for
default configs.

Jeff