Installing Windows after Redhat Linux is installed

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Tue Apr 26 17:57:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 07:31:19PM +0200, NDUMISO MKHWANAZI wrote:
> Hello
>
> A computer was donated to my wife's school . It has  Redhat
> Linux/Fedora preinstalled . How can you install WindowsXP and
> OfficeXP,on the computer  as this is what the kids are already familiar
> with ?
>
> Thanks,

   You don't.  That would be illegal unless you go out and purchase,
for $600 US retail,  Win XP and MS Office. (there are other ways to
handle the licensing issues, of course).

It would also be very short sighted and detrimental to the students
education.

Why ? Current IT trends show the Linux market share growing rapidly
especially in parts of the world outside the USA. Denying your students
the opportunity to use a different OS platform, especially the one that
is likely to be the standard in the future, means you are giving them a
lesser education.

Additionally, as it turns out, training is not an issue.  As an example
a public library in Connecticut converted all of their public access
computers from windows to Linux two years ago, and the libraries patrons
simply went on using them (under Linux) as though nothing had changed.

How? Simple - the user's just clicked on what they wanted and used
it. The Open Office suite acted just like MS Office (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, etc..) and the browser (Mozilla) actually performed better
than Internet explorer.

Since Linux system are easier to administer than MS systems and are
inherently much more secure, as well as having much lower licensing
costs, you would be better advised to switch the existing system to
Linux.

If you want to know how to install MS software please go ask in a MS
mailing list, or hire your local PC shop to do it.  Its only a little
harder than install Linux. (assuming your install CD has all the correct
device drivers).