Installing Windows after Redhat Linux is installed

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Apr 27 08:00:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, NDUMISO MKHWANAZI wrote:

> Hello
>
> A computer was donated to my wife's school . It has  Redhat
> Linux/Fedora preinstalled . How can you install WindowsXP and
> OfficeXP,on the computer  as this is what the kids are already familiar
> with ?

The traditional reason that donor computers come with an open source os on
them is because the donor doesn't have windows liscenses to give, and in
many cases (corporate volume liscenses) they liscense that came with the
machine was non-transferable.

In the long run it probably better, and legally safer to encourage the use
of open source operating schools in south africa, aquiring windows xp
liscences for donated pc's is cost prohibitive.

There are some ngo's that can help out with software and books. If you
care to contact me offlist I can probably connect you to some of them.

Right now, I'm in Mozambique finishing up a workshop in deploying network
services using freebsd, but I'll be back in the state and on email in a
couple days.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu