rpm and yum problems after fc2 to fc3 update

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Apr 27 11:53:53 UTC 2005

Peio Popov wrote:
> ~ I am having issues with rpm and yum after a upgrade from fc2 to fc3.
> When I try to install a package with yum (version 2.2.0) I end up with
> an error like:
>
> Error: Requiring package openssl-devel-0.9 not in transaction set
> ~                            nor in rpmdb
>
> Based on the advice in:
> http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html
> I checked my rpm version
> # rpm --version
> RPM version 4.3.1
>
> But when I did # rpm -qi rpm it showed me:
> Version     : 4.3.2
>
> And indeed the rpm executable file itself was dated
> # ls -lh /bin/rpm
> - -rwxr-xr-x  1 rpm rpm 76K Nov  1 21:54 /bin/rpm
>
> I tried to replace it manually using --force but it did not help and it
> gave me strange error messages that are attached at the end of the email.
>
> Can anybody give me an idea what might the problem be and how I may fix it.

No idea how you got in this state, unless you've used rpm --force
before, in which case your RPM database may be completely screwed.

Try downloading all of the rpm 4.3.2 packages that you're using (e.g.
rpm, rpm-devel, rpm-python, rpm-libs, and also the latest popt) and
upgrading them all together:

# rpm -Uvh --replacefiles --replacepkgs rpm*.rpm popt*.rpm

That should at least get your version of rpm up to date.

Paul.