how do I set 'home' for root

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed Apr 27 20:07:39 UTC 2005

It's a long story, but I have pretty crippled system right now, including a
messed up root user.
When I su in a Bash terminal, instead of getting my usual prompt I get
something quite different, and if I try to run a command, it aborts with an
error like this:

cj at viewridgeproductions2 misc]$ su
Password:
sh-3.00# kcontrol
Aborting. $HOME is not set.
sh-3.00#

So root is lost - can someone help me tell it how to 'phone home'? I was
wondering why I was getting the strange 'sh-3.00#' prompt in the third line
where I used to get 'root at viewridgeproductions2 ]$'  I think lines 4 and 5
are my clue, but I don't how to fix this, or for that matter, how it got into
this state.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA