how do I set 'home' for root

Bogdan Rotariu bogdan at alterox.ro
Wed Apr 27 20:34:06 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> It's a long story, but I have pretty crippled system right now, including a
> messed up root user.
> When I su in a Bash terminal, instead of getting my usual prompt I get
> something quite different, and if I try to run a command, it aborts with an
> error like this:
>
> cj at viewridgeproductions2 misc]$ su
> Password:
> sh-3.00# kcontrol
> Aborting. $HOME is not set.
> sh-3.00#
>
> So root is lost - can someone help me tell it how to 'phone home'? I was
> wondering why I was getting the strange 'sh-3.00#' prompt in the third line
> where I used to get 'root at viewridgeproductions2 ]$'  I think lines 4 and 5
> are my clue, but I don't how to fix this, or for that matter, how it got into
> this state.

try doing the su - user
with the - so it can run .bash_profile and other shell related config files.
if that doesnt work to try to export HOME=~
or export HOME=/home/username

fordelivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such a case, you should destroy this message
and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail.