how do I set 'home' for root

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed Apr 27 20:55:39 UTC 2005

On Wednesday April 27 2005 4:26 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Check /etc/password to contain following line for root:
>
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>
> Check too your /root/.bash_profile and /root/.bashrc files.

Yes, that fixed it. My entry was truncated, like this:
root:x:0:0:root::

Now, I wonder how this happenned? What could cause such a thing? I realize I
was the cause, but I'd like to figure out what specific action I took, that
triggered the event.

Also, I took a look at the two files but I can't interpret them - I'm reading
man Bash now, but, any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Here's
what they look like:

# .bash_profile
# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
	. ~/.bashrc
fi
# User specific environment and startup programs
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
export PATH
unset USERNAME

# .bashrc