how do I set 'home' for root

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 21:43:46 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 04:26 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 27.04.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 22:17:
> > > "su" only changes the process' effective UID, but doesn't give you
> > > root's environment.  "su -" DOES give you root's environment (including
> > > root's path and, yes, $HOME).  It's equivalent to logging in as root.
> >
> > Assuming I understood you correctly, I tried this:
> > sh-3.00# su cj
> > [cj at viewridgeproductions2 misc]$ su root
> > Password:
> > sh-3.00# kcontrol
> > Aborting. $HOME is not set.
> > sh-3.00#
>
> No, Rick spoke about running "su - <user>".
>
> > I'm getting the same bad result, if I follow you right.
> >
> > Claude Jones
>
> Check /etc/password to contain following line for root:
>
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>
> Check too your /root/.bash_profile and /root/.bashrc files.
>
> Alexander
Which brings up an interesting point.

If I remember correctly, you can change the home directory for any user by
changing it in the /etc/passwd file. (Make sure the directory and needed
files S.A. .bashrc are in the new home directory.

This allows a group to share a directory.
--
John H Ludwig

Common sense is so rare, why do they call it common!!!

Manual customization of this file is not recommended,
BUT WILL BE DONE!!!