The Real Linux World

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Thu Apr 28 07:37:44 UTC 2005

Joel wrote:

>>Can anyone explain this in plain English.? I understand that a portion of messages is being written to mesg.temp,
>>and that the rest is deleted. Just don't get where $1 and $LINES is being generated from. Cheers.
>>

>man sh
>
>and look for "positional parameters".
>
>--
>Joel Rees   <rees at ddcom.co.jp>
>digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム
>Kobe, Japan   +81-78-672-8800
>** <http://www.ddcom.co.jp> **

Hi All,

thanx, Joel. I got the answer from someone on another forum. I had
missed that $LINES was already set to 50 and that $1 is just an argument
replacer(?).

$ ./first-script.sh arg1 arg2 arg3

In this case, $1 = arg1 , $2 = arg2 , $3 = arg3 and so on.
Note that $0 = ./first-script.sh

Whilst I appreciate the power of man, sometimes it's cryptic in the way
it speaks to you. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.