Apt-get equivalent in fedora

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Apr 28 07:41:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 11:01 +0530, Deboo Geek wrote:
> I installed yum but running yup update, just sleeps t here, nothing happens
>
> # yum update
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
>
> Nothing happens for several minutes after this and I have to press
> Ctrl-C. yum --help also doesn't tell anything much or there is no
> verbose option either. What should I do?
>
> I'm using a proxy, is that the problem? Where do I configure that?
> /etc/yum.conf doesn't have any such mention

It does once you've updated to yum 2.20 (see man yum.conf after
updating).

Try:
# export http_proxy=http://my.proxy:port
# yum update

(obviously, substitute the name and port number of your proxy server for
my.proxy:port)

P.S. Please don't top-post on this mailing list.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>