Xine vs. Mplayer

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at
Thu Apr 28 12:23:37 UTC 2005

--- Charles Malespin <charles.malespin at>
> Hi all,
>    I am pretty new to FC3 and am have a question
> about video players.  I
> am currently using Xine and it works ok, but I cant
> play wvm videos
> among other little problems I have with it.  I saw
> that Mplayer does
> play wvm videos and I wanna give it a try.  Is one
> better than the
> other, or is it just personal pref?  I currently
> have Firefox using Xine
> to open video links, how do I go in and make Mplayer
> my default video
> viewer(please try and make it as easy as possible
> for a noob...) and is
> there anything that I lose by switching to Mplayer?
> Do I need to get
> rid of Xine from my computer, and if so how(again
> simple please, I am
> having trouble locating files and which files are
> what still..)?
> Thanks in advance!
> Charles
> --

   I think it is a matter of preference.  I use both
players as I like them both very much.  If you want
menus on your dvd's go with xine.  If you don't care
Mplayer plays dvd's with dvd://1.  If you can't play
the wmv files, go to
and download the w32codecs rpm and install it.  It
should fix your problem.  If you would like to try
Mplayer, go right ahead it is great also.

Do You Yahoo!?