Screen woes

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Thu Apr 28 15:56:40 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 02:50:38PM +0100, Simon Andrews wrote:
> Deboo Geek wrote:
> > I had some screen (monitor) shaking problem when using X. Someone
> > advised me to switch to fedora and this would vanish as he had done
> > this too for this problem. But for me, this did not solve the problem.
> >  Even Redhat9 doesn't solve the problem. I was wondering if it is the
> > version of X but then 2 different X versions can'tsoolve the problem.
> > I have tried changing the monitor but still the screen shakes, while
> > the screens of PCs beside me are fine running fedora and RedHat too.
>
> If these are CRT monitors have you checked that it isn't some other
> nearby piece of electrial equipment which is causing this?  I've had
> pretty nasty screen distortions from things like speakers and desk fans.
>
> Simon.

It seems to me that one's experience with X is totally dependent on which
display adapter.  Some have drivers that work well, some have drivers that
work less well.    You would want to figure out which adapter and, after
updating to the latest Xorg for your distribution, start looking on
Bugzilla and the like for that specific one.

At the same time, I've not seen any behavior that I'd call "shaking"
which was induced by the software.    But experimenting with slower and
faster refresh would be interesting to try.

It seemed to me that the Intel 8215 drivers were mediocre to dismal at
some lower settings, but at 1280x960/60hz it is truly a beauty to
behold.