trying to setup for a remote installation

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 28 21:32:25 UTC 2005

ok...

in order to do a remote FC3 installation, using vnc, it appears that i need
to create a floppy bootdisk, copy a kickstart file to it, place the FC3 ISOs
on a HTTP server, and add the required VNC commands to the bootloader of the
kickstart file.

is this anywhere close to being correct...

1) create the floppy bootdisk
  (use rawwrite, and copy the boot.img file to the a: floppy)

2) edit the ks.cfg (kickstart file) with the correct parameters

3) copy this file to the top/root of the floppy drive..

4) copy the FC3 ISO files to the correct location of the http server
   (http:/foo.com/FC3/) the FC3 dir contains the FC3 ISO files... i assume
    i should allow the files/index to be displayed from the browser...

5) within the ks.cfg file, i have a line for the 'bootloader'
    bootloader --location=mbr --append="fff"  <<<<<<<<<<<
   (should i add the 'vnc' information here, to initiate the vnc connection
    on the client server...

   remember, i want to use vnc on my server to graphically install FC3 on
the
   remote server...

6) or, should i modify the existing/targeted server's grub file, and add the
   VNC attributes to the end of the
    'kernel /vmlinuz...   ' vnc vncconnect=192.168.1.4:5500

am i getting close to understanding what has to be done....

also, if i wanted to simply do all this remotely, and have the kickstart
(ks.cfg) file on the targeted harddrive, where would i copy it, and how
would i know what to use as the device 'linux=hd:<device>:file'? would i get
the device by doing a 'df' to see what the device names are, using the
actual device name, and not the mounted name....

-bruce
bedouglas at earthlink.net