[OT] Changing the case of filenames

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Apr 29 14:22:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:15:53AM -0400, David Niemi wrote:
> Thanks for all the VERY FAST responses everyone.  As just about all the
> suggestion, I was about 1/2 way there in my feeble attempts at writing a
> bash script for this.  I'll probably spruce it up a bit for more general
> usage as a general script to change case of file names.

I find it easier to remember the generalized bash looping syntax than the
specialized syntax of a dedicated renaming script. (Since it's useful for
lots of other quick repetitive tasks.) But if you want a more powerful
renaming tool, don't reinvent the wheel:

<http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=rename&section=projects>