RHEL Licensing question

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Apr 29 14:27:10 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 04:19:23PM +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> If I've understood this thread then I'm guessing that these RHEL clones
> are more stable than fedora -  [...]

Only more stable in the sense of less turnover -- Fedora Core itself is
quite stable in the sense of "not crashing". (RHEL4 is 90% identical to
Fedora Core 3.)

>                                  I'm pretty new to linux and have been
> disappointed with the complexity of setting things up to run smoothly
> for a recent convert from windows.

Many things in Linux have a steep learning curve, but once you've mastered
the basics, you'll find that it's *easier* to make Linux run smoothly.

> So, while I'm downloading centos for a spin, how about some comments to
> help me find a less bleeding edge linux distro...

If you want to be able to set things up easily, you *want* the more
bleeding-edge distros, because much of the bleeding edge these days is
centered around end-user improvements.