[Fedora] Re: Bible referers?

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 18:51:12 UTC 2005

On 4/29/05, Doug Stewart <dstewart at atl.lmco.com> wrote:
> Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> > Doug Stewart wrote:
> >
> >> If that's a hit on a blog site, it's probably a comment spammer.  I've
> >> seen them beginning to use either really sophomoric philosophy
> >> statements or Bible verses as the body of their "comments" in order to
> >> try to slip Texas Hold 'em links past my SpamKarma filters.  Good
> >> thing SK catches 'em all... *grin*
> >

> >    Nope, it wasn't.  It's showing up across several of my virtual sites
> > now, none of them being a blog nor running any CMS or other blog
> > software.  Not that it bothers me or anything, but I found it
> > interesting to be coming from several different IP addresses (from
> > totally different networks.)  That's why I was wondering if it's a virus
> > that's infecting people and then try to drum up business for the web
> > site in the referrer line or if they have some sort of distributed
> > network that's spamming everything they can find.
> >

> Then they're just looking to referrer spam you in the hopes of bumping
> their Google ranking, most likely.
>
> http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/referrer-spam.shtml
>
> --

Sorry,  but the body of the message has jesus god, etc... the link
 http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/referrer-spam.shtml
shows this and I quote
"*

Preventing referrer spam

The easiest method to avoid becoming a target of referrer spam is to
not publish your web site statistics publically.

If you wish to publish your web site statistics publically, you can
manually ban web sites which use you for referrer spam.

If you have already been a victim of referrer spam, there are tools
available to clean the spam entries from your web server log files.
One such tool is Referrer Spam Fucker 3000."

Nice name for a application :(

--

Jim Lawrence
Registered Linux User: #376813