Getting FC3 to see a Benq FP767

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 29 18:58:19 UTC 2005

I have what I've been assuming is a hardware config problem in FC3 on a
p2; but I'm beginning to wonder. It affects Pan more than anything else,
but it does affect pretty much all my apps.

I have a pentium2 testbed machine which has successfully run everything
from RH 7.2 to FC2. I upgraded it recently, from behind a KVM switch, to
FC3. A bunch of details in the display went bad, and Pan most of all --
the in-between size window (the one I use) insists on being wider than the
screen. The monitor is a BenQ FP767, which does 1280 x 1024; and there is
a choice of it in the hardware list under Display (which does offer the
right numbers, from the git-go, under both FC1 and FC2). But under
FC3 it offers only a choice between 800 x 600, and 640 x 480; if I go to
"generic LCD 1280 x 1024" it makes no difference.

Someone suggested getting the machine out from behind the KVM switch, and
reconfiguring it. I did. No joy.

I had upgraded from FC2 to FC3; someone suggested a clean install. So
yesterday I rearranged all the hardware, with the p2 connected in solitary
splendor directly to KV&M w/o switch again; installed FC3 from CDs (burned
sometime in December), wiping everything; and updated.

RESULT -- alas! Even after several rounds of Main Menu > System Settings >
Display, with log-outs and back -ins as appropriate (sometimes reboots),
trying both Benq FP767 and "generic LCD 1280 x 1024" -- I still get only a
choice between 800 x 600 and 640 x 480. And Pan still won't accept the
size window I want, as it has done on this machine with RH9, FC1, and FC2,
using this monitor, with and without the KVM switch.

I haven't yet tried actually editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf, or whatever it
is. But I'm not sanguine. Not sanguine at all.

Before I try that editing, which was an exercise in hairiness under early
FC1, when the BenQ had only just come onto the market, is there any reason
anyone can see why the default options under the monitor's name should
have *lost* the right numbers, instead of kept them from FC1 and FC2 ??

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC 12&3, YDL 4; Pine 4.62, Pan 0.14.2; Privoxy 3.0.3;