Apt-get equivalent in fedora

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 21:17:22 UTC 2005

John Moore (Linux Server) wrote:
> Try Yum Extender (http://linux.rasmil.dk) for a great gui frontend for
> yum.

>>>I recommend you ditch up2date and switch to another tool such as yum or
>>>apt-get (if you want guis, these are also available such as kyum for yum
>>>and synaptic for apt-get.). Up2date has always proved rather unreliable
>>>for me.
>>>

>>The only reason why I would want a GUI is to aid in browsing available
>>packages. For simple updates to existing packages, I don't need a GUI. I
>>just type "yum -y update" (as a SUperuser, of course) and if it can find
>>packages to update, it does its job, and a lot more smoothly than
>>up2date ever did. (It also shows me what it's doing while it does it.)
>>
>>But when I want to know what packages are available, I have a problem.
>>If I list them in a terminal window, the list will shoot off the
>>scale--and backward scrolling of a terminal window sometimes doesn't
>>work right. (Is that an X issue, or something else I can fix?) The GUI
>>would at least let me browse a list, look at its description, and decide
>>whether to take it or not. That's why I liked synaptic so much--before
>>the new apt package on at-stable broke it. (Axel has a fix, I
>>understand, but at last report it's in  "bleeding.")
>>
>>Is kyum the GUI for KDE? What GUI's are available for yum in Gnome?
>>
>>Temlakos
>>

> John Moore
> Manager, IS
> Quality Care for Children
> Atlanta, Georgia
> 404-479-4180

Well, I did install Yum Extender, or "yumex." I got it from the link you
mentioned, and installed the rpm directly by issuing:

# chmod 755 yumex*
# rpm -Uvh yumex*

I've used it already to run the latest batch of updates from the
official repos and from at-stable.

It has the list of packages that haven't been installed, packages I
have, and packages needing an update. It allows me to select packages to
remove.

But the /best/ part is its Output window that shows me all the
command-line output, just as if I had opened a Terminal window and
issued the appropriate yum command there. Even Synaptic does not do half
as well showing me this output.

So--yes, I definitely recommend yumex as a comprehensive graphical
front-end for yum, that does not suppress the information normally
available on the command line, while at the same time making available a
comprehensive, selectable list of installable packages /and even of
repositories/.

Excellent, excellent, excellent.

Temlakos