Yum Extender

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 21:21:19 UTC 2005

Robert Spangler wrote:

> On Friday 29 April 2005 14:05, Matthew Miller wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 01:53:11PM -0400, John Moore (Linux Server) wrote:
>> > I just installed the Yum Extender and it is great!!  Don't have to go
>> > back and forth between user and root, the updates work AND it is soooooo
>> > much easier to add packages using this tool.  Great suggestion!!
>>
>> You shouldn't have to go back and forth between user and root with regular
>> yum either.
>

> Really?  I do.
>
> Start yum and it complains that I'm not root
>

> - --
>
> Regards
> Robert

Well, sure you have to expect that.

But when you start Yum Extender, it /will/ ask you to specify the root
password. Now, sure, it asks you that just once--but you /do/ have to
supply it.

Nevertheless, I heartily recommend yumex, for a whole host of reasons.
It gives me everything I wanted in a GUI front-end, while allowing me to
see what it's doing (through its Output window), just as I can see right
now on the command line.

A very valuable customization and administration tool--and one I would
like to see made part of Fedora Core, or Fedora Extras at least.

Temlakos