OT: Industrial Process modeling

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Sat Apr 30 02:58:49 UTC 2005

I'm looking for an application, hopefully under Linux, to model an
industrial process. If I knew what something like this was called, I
could Google for it, but I know of no name for it.

Extremely trivial example:
Drill Press time 5 minutes - consumes D kwh of electricity. Leads to:
CNC machine time 60 minutes - consumes C kwh of electricity. Leads to:
Anealing oven time 30 minutes - Consumes A kwh of eletricity.

I'd like to feed the app resources, characteristics of those resources,
and then plug in production figures over a time period and have it tell
me how many Drill Presses, etc I need to get that production, how much
energy is consumed to add to cost of goods, etc.

Largely this is a complex scheduling problem. The app should also
highlight resource shortages to say that certain things are impossible
due to not enough whatever, and lay out a time line for when things need
to happen.

Any one know what this might be called, and where I might find such an app?

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com
http://www.ycc.com