How to uninstall software?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Apr 30 16:46:01 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 30.04.2005 schrieb Neal Wilkinson um 18:39:

> I've not had much trouble installing software but now I want to take
> some off and don't know how. It wasn't done with Yum or with the package
> manager so it isn't clear to me how to remove it. I guess there must be
> about as many ways to remove a program as there are to put it on. Anyone
> know of something that works for everything or without instructions
> should I just try different things until one works?

If you installed doing the triple step "./configure && make && make
install" you can have luck and the software author did create an
uninstall in the Makefile. Then "make uninstall" in the source directory
will do what you want. If that isn't the case you will look where the
"make install" step deploys the software's file to and erase them
manually.
Aber better way is to use RPMs or where no RPM is available nor you able
to create one yourself, to use the checkinstall tool. The very big
reason for using package managers like RPM is exactly the case you are
asking about now.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 18:42:38 up 18 days, 15:23, load average: 0.52, 0.49, 0.25