fedora install using floppy

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Apr 30 17:44:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 09:13 -0700, bruce wrote:
> hi...
>
> still struggling with this issue..
>
> for those new to the problems, we have a number of systems that only have
> floppies.. we need to be able to install FC3 on the systems. we have the FC3
> iso files on a http/ftp server on the network. our need is to somehow come
> up with a floppy that will allow us to insert the floppy, load any required
> drivers, and allow us to start the Fedora installation process.

kernel is too big to fit on a floppy unfortunately.
If you can boot from a usb key, that will work though.

I suppose it might be possible to build a custom kernel that is small
enough and then build a custom fc3 install set that uses that kernel,
but I don't know if that is possible, or worth the effort.