Won't boot to X after install

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sat Apr 30 21:26:47 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 06:01:45PM +0000, neidorff wrote:
> On 4/30/05, THUFIR HAWAT <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4/30/05, neidorff <neidorff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > [..]
> > > Will someone please help me fix this system so that it can boot
> > > and I
> > > can configure it?
> >
> > to start with, have you tried to do anything with the rescue cd?
> > also, does a live cd, such as knoppix, work?  I offer only questions,
> > not actual help ;)
> >

> > Thufir
>
> Yes, I booted with the rescue CD.  It didn't make any changes to the
> disk.  On a separate HD, in the same computer, I have RH 7.3
> installed.  I am using that just fine now.
> (I also have a knoppix CD here that I have booted with.  It also works.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
Various thoughts:
1. Can you not boot at all, or you can't boot into init 5. If you can
boor to int 3 do that and run system-config-display to configure the
xorg.conf file for X.

2, Do have a proper grub.conf and has grub been installed. If that is a
problem it can be fixed buy booting into rescue mode and them do a
chroot /mnt/sysimage (or make your FC3 root partition root) to fix
grub.

When the fog came in on little cat feet last night, it left these little
muddy paw prints on the hood of my car.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University