making Samba work

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Aug 2 23:02:20 UTC 2005

On Tue August 2 2005 6:47 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> > > Well, smbclient -L should be using the IP address of the machine.  Is
> > > the above the expected IP address?
> > >
> > > Phil
> >
> > I have no idea what that address is. My Wan Nic starts with 66.
> > and my Lan nic starts with 192.
> > I tried studypc.com from my browser but that got me nothing.
>
> That is not a real test. I would only show if an HTTP server is running
> there.
>
> $ host studypc.com
> studypc.com has address 208.254.3.160
>
> $ host 208.254.3.160
> 160.3.254.208.in-addr.arpa is an alias for
> 160.128.3.254.208.in-addr.arpa.
> 160.128.3.254.208.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
> uu-3-160.buydomains.com.
>
> Do you have in /etc/resolv.conf set "search com"?
> Btw. the hosts file for SMB is /etc/samba/lmhosts.

Ok - I learned something. My resolve.conf file:

search com
nameserver 69.31.31.2
nameserver 64.202.97.2

I couldn't find a man page or other info on this file, but am I guessing
correctly that this an instruction for DNS lookups? The first value suggests
appending a .com to a search term?
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA