text install - selecting individual packages?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Aug 4 21:47:43 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Adam Williams wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm installing Fedora Core 4 on a new system.  I am doing a text
>>> install, and  [can't pick and choose my packages]
>>

>> The feature was removed. I believe that you can select a limited
>> number of packages from each group to remove or deselect, but not as
>> before with full control.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> That sounds backwards to me. If one is doing a text install, then
> my presumption would be that packages are deliberately not being
> installed (perhaps a server or sth similar, or perhpas limited disc)
> and would make sure the installer had the maximum flexibility in
> choosing packages.
>
> Just my $0.02 worth.
>
> Mike

I believe the versatility was lost since RHL 7.x series. Later RHL
versions might have included the individual package seletection feature
but I cannot recall.
The reason given for discontinuing the flexibility was that adding
specific packages post-install has a more sane environment for setting
up additional packages.
I doubt the flexibility will be added back into the installer again.

Jim

--
	The judge fined the jaywalker fifty dollars and told him if he was
caught again, he would be thrown in jail.  Fine today, cooler tomorrow.