writing dir to DVD

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Tue Aug 9 20:48:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 13:21 -0700, w bugar wrote:
> Sorry for a simple question, but can someone tell me
> the commands and options (mkisofs, cdrecord I presume)
> to throw a directory(s) to a DVD? I know someone will
> say to use man but my machine just gives me a prompt
> during the Checking Filesystem phase of booting and
> man doesn't work.

Ouch!

> I can still access /home so I'd like
> to try to save it before trying a reload of FC4.
> (cdrecord --scanbus returns 1,0,0)

Since you have e-mail access, hopefully you can also browse the web.
Can find man pages on-line.  You probably want growisofs for DVD, so try
a google on "man growisofs" (mkisofs|cdrecord|...)

One result from above:
http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/growisofs1.html

Here's a bit from the growisofs man page that may be helpful.
EXAMPLES
       Actual  device names vary from one operating system to another. We use
       /dev/dvd as a collective name or as symbolic link to the actual device
       if  you  wish.  Under  Linux it will most likely be an ide-scsi device
       such as "/dev/scd0." Under NetBSD/OpenBSD it has  to  be  a  character
       SCSI  CD-ROM device such as "/dev/rcd0c." Under Solaris it also has to
       be a character SCSI/ATAPI CD-ROM device, e.g.  "/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2" or
       "/vol/dev/aliases/cdrom0." And likewise in HP-UX and IRIX...

       To master and burn an ISO9660 volume with Joliet and Rock-Ridge exten-
       sions on a DVD:

            growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /some/files

       To append more data to same DVD:

            growisofs -M /dev/dvd -R -J /more/files

       Make sure to use the same options for both inital burning and  follow-
       ing sessions.

Good luck,
Phil