OT: Should I learn bash/C/python/perl/other

Rey Cruz crxtasy_13 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 12 07:47:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 21:31 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 8/11/05, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually, Paul said (while recommending it)
> > > that python was _not_ very portable.
> >
> > Well it's portable in that it's available on multiple platforms, but the
> > architects of the language don't worry too much about breaking old
> > programs with new versions of python, at least not when compared with
> > perl. In other words, an old perl program is still likely to work on a
> > new version of perl, which might not be the case for an old python
> > program and a new version of python.
> >
> > Paul.
>
> While I had not considered that before, I think that I would stay away
> from a language that forced me to rewrite my code when I update. I
> guess that makes python a no-no, leaving me to consider bash/ C/ perl.
> Otherwise, python looked to be the way to go. Of them all, the perl
> tutorials that I found today seem to be the most newbie-friendly. I'll
> try and put together a few small scripts with perl and C, to get a
> feel for them as was suggested by Glenn and Thomas.
>
> Thanks, everybody!
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/131/counting_crows.php
> Counting Crows Song Lyrics

I was looking for a programing language to start learning and my friend
at work gave me a book called Learning Perl. It's Published by O'Reilly.
Thought you might want to check it out. I also wanted to ask if you can
post the links for the tutorials that you found.

Thanks ever so much,
Rey Cruz

P.S. Wasn't sure if I should ask off or on the list, but figured on list
was better so others can learn about perl too.