httpd newbie / access denied, no permission to ~userid

Joel Smith joelvsmith at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 15 12:37:18 UTC 2005

I am running Fedora Core 4, httpd-2.0.54.

When I try to access http://localhost/~userid/index.html I get

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~userid on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to
use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

the permissions for /home/userid and /home/userid/public_html are
drwxr-xr-x, the permission for /home/userid/public_html/index.html is
-rw-rw-r-- ...

I changed the mod_userdir.c section in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to :

<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
    #
    # UserDir is disabled by default since it can confirm the presence
    # of a username on the system (depending on home directory
    # permissions).
    #
    #UserDir disable

    #
    # To enable requests to /~user/ to serve the user's public_html
    # directory, remove the "UserDir disable" line above, and uncomment
    # the following line instead:
    #
    UserDir public_html

</IfModule>

and then I use the next section which was originally commented out.

#
# Control access to UserDir directories.  The following is an example
# for a site where these directories are restricted to read-only.
#
<Directory /home/*/public_html>
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Limit>
    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
    </LimitExcept>
</Directory>

all other parts of httpd.conf were left as is...

That's about all I know about httpd and it doesn't work..  How do I get
access to view the html pages in /home/userid/public_html ???

In the error logs it reports:
[client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied: access to /~userid denied

it also seems to be looking for a favicon.ico

File does not exist:  [client 127.0.0.1] File does not
exist: /var/www/html/favicon.ico

Any help would be greatly appreciated.