FC2 with HP DESKJET 870 Problem

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 13:32:39 UTC 2005

> The following are facts, not criticisms. I was pleased to
> see how easily Gnome was able to install my printer, and
> set up the queue.
>
> First, GNOME PDF Viewer 2.8.2 cannot display that PDF. All

A few things:

Acrobat 5 for Linux is a bit buggy. It may not always work exactly
like you want. Acrobat 7 is a lot better regarding stability, features
etc. It also eats a lot more memory.

The FC2 distribution is since the release of FC4 officially
unmaintained. Unless you've got a very good reason to stick with FC2
it's better to upgrade to FC4.

FC4 comes with the new PDF viewer "Evince" which is lean, reads a lot
more PDF's than Gnome PDF ever would and supports printing in a sane
way.

As a last request: checklists of bugs or missing features are
valuable. In fact, they are so valuable you don't just want to send
them to some mailing list, but also enter them into the Red Hat or
Gnome bugzilla systems. It really increases the odds of bugs being
fixed for the next release ;)

Klaasjan