Numlock as standard?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 17 15:43:54 UTC 2005

Henry Hartley wrote:

> You could just turn it on in the BIOS.  Oh, wait, that doesn't
> work.  I still don't understand why Linux cannot simply abide
> by the BIOS setting and leave numlock alone.  Even Windows 95
> got that right.

Yes, I find that annoying too.  What's more annoying is when you turn it
on, then go to another window and that application acts as if it's off.
Even if Linux paid attention to the initial setting by the BIOS, it
wouldn't help (for that reason).  Nearly every application you try and
type in requires you to toggle the numlock two or more times to get it
working again.

Does anyone using that extra utility program (which wasn't mentioned in
the message that I'm replying to) know whether it overcomes this
particular annoyance?  I'm always loathe to install things just to try
out something.

I read messages from the public lists.