Samba and XP SP2 no love

Information (Erin Hughes) information at hugedesigns.net
Thu Aug 18 12:48:59 UTC 2005

Ankush Grover wrote:

>On 8/18/05, Information for Huge Designs <information at hugedesigns.net> wrote:
>

>>Hi All,
>>
>>I am having ALOT of trouble getting samba working a FC4 system I admin.
>>
>>I have 10 XP SP2 clients all trying to log into the server. If I go to map
>>network drive I type the shares in like say \\apollo.local\common the
>>server returns a request for a user name and password but even if I put
>>the correct password in, it just pops back with user name and password.
>>
>>In the log files there is one for each machine but they are all empty.
>>In the smb.log then NMB.log is a littel diffrent it keeps saying
>>[root at apollo samba]# tail nmbd.log
>>  *****
>>
>>  Samba name server APOLLO is now a local master browser for workgroup
>>MYGROUP on subnet 192.168.11.200
>>
>>  *****
>>The MyGROUP is alittle troublesome cause if you look below at the smb.conf
>>I have clearly named it WORKGROUP
>>

>>I have checked my smb config with testpram and it works fine the server
>>starts and is running.
>>

>>Things I have tried,
>>Turning off firewalls on both machines
>>creating new users and adding the users to samba users
>>creating new groups and adding the users to them
>>

>did you mapped windows users to the samba users in smbusers file
>
>like john is the user on linux and john on windows is johnw
>
>then entry in the smbusers should be
>
>john = johnw
>
>Regards
>
>Ankush Grover

Wait you mean that the windows user even in a workgroup is going to
dictate what the  user name is in SMB? Do I need to make Machine accounts?

For clearity I am just using a workgroup there is no domain.

Also when the I go to map the drive  the user login dialog box  pops up
and it is blank and then when I try to user with a good user name and
password (smb user/passwords) it  1 doesnt log in , 2 it pops back up
with one of 2 things either the workstation name and then a / and the
user name like accounting/user1 or appoll.local/user1 either way I cant
log in.

Any more ideas? I am googlen so hard I am bout to fall out.

Thanks

Erin