RAW devices

John Rowan rowan at rownetco.com
Sun Aug 21 12:34:49 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 14:43 -0400, John Rowan wrote:
>

>>The application I seek to run on FC4 requires raw partition support.
>>RH9 had such raw devices defined but there is nothing like it from what
>>I can see in FC4.  The vendor, Raining Data, will not support Fedora
>>Core, recommeding clients purchase RHES instead.  On their user forum
>>one person suggested to use White Box Linux or CentOS (his preference).
>>I tried White Box some time ago but didn't have the time to invest in
>>yet another distribution.  I have the same feeling about CentOS but if
>>Raw partitions are not part of FC4 I guess I'll be downloading a new
>>distro soon.
>>

>To use a raw partition, simply do not format it.  Run fdisk to create
>the partition. Then the pickDB can be told to use that partition and it
>should be happy.
>
>AFAICT CentOS is equivalent to RHES4 and WhiteBox is equivalent to
>RHES3.  I may be behind on their status, but if you get CentOS you have
>basically the same as RHES and it should work the same.

 From what I understand you are correct that CentOS is RHES repackaged.
I downloaded the 4 ISOs, burned them to CDs and built the machine with
CentOS.  The raw partition and software to work with it is included in
this distribution.  I was able to install the Pick software and restore
the data into that application.

I've noticed a shift in the job marketplace where many positions
required RHES or RHAS.  At least now with CentOS I can seek out
positions looking for experience with RHES.