FC4 Freeze Issue

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 22 02:03:42 UTC 2005

Tony Crouch wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have (for some time) been experiencing a freeze issue where my FC4
> machine will randomly freeze. If the problem cannot be sourced from this
> I may have to file a bugzilla report.

To what extent does it freeze?

Mouse not working?
Keyboard not working?
Can you not ping the box on a network?

If all the above are true, then more than likely you have a hardware
freeze happening, not so much a software one.

I've found it notoriously hard to freeze a Linux box completely.

In fact, I've never managed to do it just running Linux - it always
turned out to be faulty hardware.

Before you do the bugzilla thing, run a memory test and try the PC with
all cards removed first.

It's too often I see bug reports for software when the hardware is in
fact flaky.

Regards,
Ed.