Editing ISO images

Øyvind Stegard oyvinst at ifi.uio.no
Fri Aug 26 17:48:41 UTC 2005

Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> When mounting ISO file systems like this, they are mounted read-only. Is
> there a way to mount them read/write?
Like I said, ISO9660 is a CORM (create-once-read-many;) file-system type.

I hacked together a simple shell-script which lets you edit ISO images
by extracting them to temp-dir, then re-creating new ISO afterwards.
Modify variables on top to suit your needs. And of course, use at your
own risk, _completely_. I make no guarantees, as this was made in ten
minutes. You might need to enter root-password to sudo-mount the ISO.

It's only meant to be used as an example or starting point. Look at the
'isoinfo' command to get info about boot-images in ISO's. You might get
some sector number from here. Then you might be able to copy the
boot-image from the ISO image by using iso-read or finding the image
file in the mounted ISO (I think that's possible, but not sure).

Øyvind.
--
< Øyvind Stegard < oyvinst at ifi uio no >
  < http://www.oyvind.nu/