Cannot access to previous Linux partition

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Aug 29 01:02:53 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:

>Tim:
>

>>>On one of my multi-boot test system, they were all on different drives,
>>>with their own boot partitions.  After an update, I just copied and
>>>pasted grub.conf entries from one partition's files to the other's,
>>>with suitable modifications.
>>>

>Jonathan Berry:
>

>>Hold on there.  Probably one of the easiest ways to multi-boot is to
>>let each operating system take care of booting itself.  You will need
>>one system to be the "master" and chainload to all of the others.
>>

>Tried that, couldn't get one Linux to chainload the other, gave up.
>It's a moot point now, as that system is now a single system.  Though,
>it did work on another multiboot system, in the manner you outlined
>(install each bootloader to the MBR of its own drive, as if it were the
>only drive, chainload from one drive to another).  I never figured out
>why it wouldn't work, they were both nearly the same as each other.

Put one installation in /mbr of the first drive. Put the other boot
loaders in the partitions /dev/hda1, /dev/hdb1 or similar. Like Jonathon
stated above, it works great.

On the installations that you want to chainload, boot these installs and
run grub-install /dev/hdb1 and so forth for all of your chainloaded
installations. Add the chainloader commands to the install that boots
from You will like the results.

Jim

--
...Deep Hack Mode -- that mysterious and frightening state of
consciousness where Mortal Users fear to tread.