ntp update?

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Mon Aug 29 14:09:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 01:24:25PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I know next to nothing about ntp,
> but have just been reading the ntp documentation,
> and I notice that ntpd will apparently die
> (whether silently or not was not clear)
> if it detects certain contradictions between its time-servers
> and the internal clock.
>
> Could this conceivable happen in your case?
> How many time-servers do you use?

I think this unlikely -- the configuration I am using has not changed in the
last two years.  I do know that one of the time sources I use in this config
is now off the air, but the other three or four are still on.  Everything
was working (or at least not dying) until ntpd was updated Saturday morning.

> There seems to be continuing development of ntp ,
> though as far as I am concerned the algorithms have become unintelligible.

I'm not sure I ever understood the finer points of ntp :)

My ntp.conf is as follows:

#
# NTP Configuration File
#
# The following hosts are either peers or servers.
server 192.43.244.18       # time.nist.giv
server 209.81.9.7          # clock.via.net
server 192.6.38.127        # ntp-cup.external.hp.com
server 128.9.176.30        # timekeeper.isi.edu

enable auth monitor
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
statsdir /var/ntp/ntpstats/
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

#keys /etc/inet/ntp.keys
#trustedkey 0
#requestkey 0
#controlkey 0